Sunday, June 16, 2019

Giving Thanks

Giving Thanks

We all have songs that makes us emote...sometimes one or two chords can stir a dozen emotions. Giving Thanks by Jeff Blumenkrantz is undoubtedly one of those songs in my life. In December of 2017, Katie and I were rehearsing for an upcoming performance at the State Theatre. A father of just a week or so , I was red-eyed and emotionally vulnerable. I remember that rehearsal as if it were yesterday, as it was the first time I heard that song. By the final line, "thank God for fathers who love their children, and most of all, thank God for you..", I was a weeping mess. It was that special moment when a meaningful piece was performed by someone you love, that got you thinking about others that you love; in this case, my daughter and my incredible dad. It's one of the most compelling things about music - the way it can so quickly encapsulate so many feelings and memories. What are some pieces that have a similar effect on you?

Here is my favorite rendition, one Aunt Katie recorded last year at Thanksgiving.

PS. These questions need not be rhetorical, would love to get a dialogue going :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Applause = Bad!

Now that I've got your attention, what does THAT mean? When Billy Joel finishes a rousing chorus of "Piano Man" the a...