Monday, April 29, 2019

You're getting smarter, stronger, kinder....

It's funny, prior to the birth of my daughter, I hadn't thought about Sesame Street in probably 25 years. Sure, I remember spending many sleepless nights (sometimes even in July) count, count, counting the days until Christmas(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQgVPn2RSko), and could certainly name all (the original) of the characters by heart, but I hadn't THOUGHT about the show. When offering B, my daughter, the option of what to watch, "Elmo" is always the choice - in fact, aside from "Momma", "Elmo" is the word she utters most frequently. To that end, I must admit that I've been especially taken with the message conveyed in the closing credits, for those of you that are unfamiliar, you can find it here: https://www.kidzsearch.com/kidztube/sesame-street-smarter-stronger-kinder-song-season-46-closing_d22af797a.html, that is remarkably simple, but so critical. Again, if you haven't seen it 400 times a day, here is the text:

"Come on and use your body and use your mind because you know you are growing all the time, you're getting smarter, stronger, kinder on Sesame Street."

It seems simple, but man, is there anything better to aspire to be than smarter, stronger, kinder every single day?

Are there other songs from your childhood or from shows for young people that really resonate with you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Applause = Bad!

Now that I've got your attention, what does THAT mean? When Billy Joel finishes a rousing chorus of "Piano Man" the a...